Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Thoughts on Gun Control and Armed Teachers


So, according to Wayne La Pierre, erstwhile head honcho over at the National Rifle Association, " the best defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"  That's what he really said at his December 21st press conference, in answer to the Sandy Hook massacre.  I couldn't believe it either.  The guy is nuts, because he also advocated armed guards in schools and arming teachers and staff as well.

 Oh yeah, sure--armed teachers are the answer-- that's REALLY going to make kids feel safe in school.

 It is against the law for a teacher to hit a child with a ruler and caning went out with Charles Dickens.  But now, LaPierre thinks we should arm teachers.What's wrong with this picture?

4 comments:

amy jane said...

The idea of armed teachers, custodians, security guards (possibly not well trained?) to guard over schools scares me. I don't think the answer is more guns. I think the students would feel even more like prisoners than they already do!

Unknown said...

Totally on the same page, Amy-- thanks for adding your voice. Actually, somebody told me there were armed security guards at Columbine-- I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it is, it certainly didn't prevent a massacre.

Doug B said...

I think it says something very troubling about us as a nation that this man's proposal hasn't caused widespread outrage. In fact, his nutty idea seems to have a surprising amount of support. Scary.

Unknown said...

Well, we are a troubled and divided nation-- no doubt about it, Doug. But I think this last massacre of innocents, coming so close to Christmas and on top of all the others this year, really did make some waves. The President is working on tightening up background checks and eliminating loopholes even as I write this.

I think La Pierre's nuttiness shocked a lot of people, even the majority of NRA members. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think a tipping point has been reached and something will get done here.